Most of our new year resolutions are over-ambitious. And then LIFE happens.
in 2019, Strava, a social network for athletes, discovered that 80% of resolution-makers give up on their new year resolutions on the second Friday of January, a day known as “Quitters day”.
So, how to prevent falling off the wagon?
- Don’t give up
- Revisit your goals-sometimes we make too many and over do it. Prioritize what is important.
- Revise your resolutions-for example, if the plan was a work out for an hour a day, decrease it to 30 minutes a day
- Work on making small consistent changes instead of a big change
- Accept support from friends and family to stay focused on your goals
- Celebrate your small achievements to stay motivated
- Acknowledge your slip-ups-if you skip a work out or eat an unhealthy meal, acknowledge it and work on doing better in the future
Remember that your new year resolutions are not just for January but for the whole year. Work on making small changes to build better habits for the long run.