Photo by Joshua Woroniecki
There is always something or another going on, and what is life without stress, right? Stress can motivate us to do better and has been associated with better peformance at times. However, stress can have an impact on our mental and physical health. Stress is caused by stressors that are a part of our lives on a daily basis such as work related stress, financial stress, relationship stress, and the list continues….
How does stress affect your body?
Stress can cause decreased sleep, memory issues, weakened immune system, digestive issues, muscle tension, and low energy. Chronic stress can have long term effects such as elevated blood pressure, increased risk of heart attack and stroke.
Everybody reacts to the same stressor differently and deals with stress differently. Stress is unavoidable in life, but it is important to identify the stressors in life and develop a strategy to reduce it’s effects on our physical and mental health.
Some of the things that can help relieve stress:
- Self care-you know your body best and what you need to do to take care of it, be it listen to music, small weekend get-away, a scenic walk, etc
- Exercise-body releases endorphins which help with your mood
- Healthy diet-limit processed food, try to eat a nutrient-dense diet
- Do something creative-cook, write, art, music
- Spend time with loved ones
- Get plenty of sleep/rest
- If nothing else, go and enjoy a beautiful sunset